This article is about the year AD 1. For other uses of the number 1, see One.
- The first full year of Jesus Christ's life (traditional date, as assigned by Dionysius Exiguus for his calendar).
- start of the Yuanshi era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
- Confucius was given his first royal title (posthumous name) of Lord Baochengxun Ni.
- Silk appeared in Rome.
- Gaius Caesar is a Roman Consul.
- Massacre of the Innocents occurs according to the Gospel of Matthew
- The poem Metamorphoses was written.
- Buddhism is introduced into China.
- Emperor Ping of Han China's reign begins