Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- January 1 - In the Gregorian calendar, January 1 is declared as the first day of the year, instead of March 25.
- February 8 - King James I of England disbands the English Parliament.
- March 22 - In the Jamestown massacre, Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia (1/3 of the colony's population).
- Étienne Brûlé is the first European to see Lake Superior.
- Portugal loses control of the island of Ormuz, after 107 years.
- Albertus Magnus is beatified by the Roman Catholic Church.