Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- February 5 - Roger Williams emigrates to Boston
- May 10 - During the Thirty Years' War imperial troops storm the German city of Magdeburg and commit a massacre. About 20,000 inhabitants are killed.
- May 18 - In Dorchester, Massachusetts, John Winthrop takes the oath of office and becomes the first Governor of Massachusetts.
- Moses Amyraut's Traite des Religions is published.
- Algerine pirates sack Baltimore, Ireland
- John Donne, English poet and writer.
- Isaac du Ryer, French poet (date approximate).\n