Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- The Long Parliament passes a series of legislation designed to contain Charles I's absolutist tendencies.
- The Dutch found a trading colony on Dejima, near Nagasaki, Japan.
- Portugal is ousted from Malacca by the Dutch.
- Claudio Monteverdi's opera Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria is first performed.
- Moses Amyraut's De l'elevation de la foy et de l'abaissement de la raison en la creance des mysteres de la religion is published.
- August 5 - John Hathorn, magistrate († 1717)
- Pierre Allix, French Protestant clergyman
- Janez Vajkard Valvasor, Slovenian nobleman and polymath