- Sometime this century, Beowulf is probably composed.
- Borobodur, the famous Indonesian Buddhist structure, begins construction, probably as a non-Buddhist shrine.
- Buddhist Jataka stories are translated in to Syriac and Arabic as Kalilag and Damnag.
- An account of Buddha's life was translated in to Greek by Saint John of Damascus, and widely circulated to Christians as the story of Jalaam and Josaphat.
- The Nara period begins in Japan.
- Charles Martel
- The Venerable Bede, English scholar
- Pepin the short
- Li Po, Chinese poet
- Du Fu, Chinese poet
- heavy plow in use in the Rhine valley
- horsecollar in use in Northern Europe in 8th or 9th century - perhaps introduced from Asia
- papermaking introduced from China to Arabs
- beginning of the decline of the Classical Maya civilization
- ca. 770: iron horseshoes come into common use