was a gate in the London Wall
in the City of London
, which has given its name to a street leading north from the site of the gate, towards Clerkenwell
in the London Borough of Islington
The old gate was taken down in 1617, and rebuilt in the same year from a design by Gerard Christmas. The gate was damaged in the Great Fire of London, but was repaired and remained until 1761.
It is near the Barbican Estate and Centre, Barbican tube station, St Bartholomew's Hospital, and the Museum of London. Northwards it continues into Goswell Road, southwards it becomes St Martin's.
See also: city gate, city wall