American Samoa is a United States territory in the South Pacific Ocean. Settled as early as 1000 BC, Samoa was "discovered" by European explorers in the 18th century. International rivalries in the latter half of the 19th century were settled by an 1899 treaty in which Germany and the US divided the Samoan archipelago. The US formally occupied its portion - a smaller group of eastern islands with the excellent harbor of Pago Pago - the following year. (see History of Samoa for more.)
|National motto: None|
- % water
|Ranked 226rd |
- Total (2003)
|Calling Code||Through October 1, 2004 684|
As of October 2, 2004 1 (684)
- Geography of American Samoa
- Demographics of American Samoa
- Politics of American Samoa
- Economy of American Samoa
- Communications in American Samoa
- Transportation in American Samoa
- Military: defense is the responsibility of the US
- Made in the USA - Goods manufactured in territories or protectorates of the United States can be labeled 'Made in the USA'
- About 30 ethnic Samoans currently play in the NFL; it has been estimated that a Samoan male is 40 times more likely to play in the NFL than a non-Samoan American.
- Persons born in American Samoa are United States nationals, but not United States citizens. This is virtually the only circumstance under which an individual would be one and not the other.
- The Official Webpage of the American Samoa Government
- Library of Congress Portals of the World - American Samoa
- Not to be confused with the adjacent nation of Samoa.