The Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1814, also known as the Convention of London (one of several) was a treaty signed between the United Kingdom and the United Provinces in London on August 13, 1814. It was signed by Robert Stewart, Viscount Castlereagh, for the UK and Hendrik Fagel (or Henry Fagel) for the Dutch.
The treaty returned the colonial possessions of the Dutch as they were at the outbreak of the war of January 1, 1803, in America, Africa, and Asia, with the exception of the Cape of Good Hope and the settlements of Demerara, Essequibo, and Berbice, where the Dutch retained trading rights.
The treaty also notes a declartion of June 15, 1814 by the Dutch that ships for the slave trade were no longer permitted in its ports and it is agreed that this will be extended to a ban on involvement in the slave trade by Dutch citizens.
The UK also agrees to pay 1,000,000 pounds Sterling to Sweden to resolve a claim to the island of Guadeloupe. Both the UK and the Dutch agree to spend 2,000,000 pounds each on improving the defences of the Low Countries.
Some more funds, of up to 3,000,000 pounds is mentioned for the "final and satisfactory settlement of the Low Countries in union with Holland".
The Dutch also cede the district of Bernagore, situated. close to Calcutta, in exchange for an annual fee.
Disputes arrising from this treaty were the subject of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824.