The Atlanta Falcons are a National Football League team based in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Founded: June 30, 1965
- Home stadium: Georgia Dome
- Team colors: Home jerseys are black with white letters and red trim. Away jerseys are white with black letters and red trim.
- Helmet design: Black with a black face mask and a red and black falcon logo white a grey and white border on both sides, which forms the shape of an F.
- Championships won: The Falcons won the NFC West Championship in 1980 and 1998 and the NFC championship in 1998.
Franchise historyTimeline / Important Years
- 1965 - The Atlanta Falcons are born. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, grants ownership to Rankin M. Smith Sr.
- 1971 - The Falcons finish with a winning record, 7-6-1.
- 1977 - The Falcons defense sets an NFL record for the fewest points allowed in a 14 game season, 129.
- 1978 - The Falcons make the playoffs for the first time, and beat visiting Philadelphia Eagles, but lose to the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas.
- 1980 - Another playoff berth for the Falcons, as they win the NFC West, but again lose to the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs.
- 1982 - The Falcons make the playoffs in this strike-shortened season with a record of 5-2, and lose to the Minnesota Vikings in Minnesota.
- 1992 - The Georgia Dome becomes the new home for the Atlanta Falcons, as they move from the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
- 1995 - In the final game of the season, the Falcons beat the San Francisco 49ers to secure a playoff spot. They go on to lose to the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.
- 1998 - The greatest season for the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons finish with a 14-2 record and win the NFC Championship after beating the San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings, but lose to the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.
- 2002 - The Falcons are bought from the Smith family by Home Depot co-founder Arthur Blank.
- 2003 - The Atlanta Falcons defeated the Green Bay Packers in the post season, 27-7, breaking the undefeated streak for the Packers at Lambeau Field in the post season as well as giving Brett Favre his first loss in weather lower than 34 degrees.
Players of notePro Football Hall of Famers: No Falcons' players have been elected to the Hall of Fame.
- Keith Brooking
- Michael Vick
- 31 William Andrews
- 57 Jeff Van Note
- 60 Tommy Nobis
- 10 Steve Bartkowski
- Mike Kenn
- Jessie Tuggle
- Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
- Deion Sanders
- Jamal Anderson