Auburn University is an institution of higher learning located in Auburn, Alabama. It was chartered in 1856 as the "East Alabama Male College," a private liberal arts school affiliated with the Methodist Church. The college was donated to the State of Alabama in 1872. It became the state's land-grant, public university and was called the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899, it was renamed the Alabama Polytechnical Institute and in 1960, its name was changed to Auburn University. Today, it is the largest university in Alabama with an enrollment of about 22,000.