(German:Bistritz; Hungarian:Beszterce) is a city in Bistrita-Nasaud
situated on the Bistrita river.
In the 13th century, Bistrita was a flourishing trade post, being situated on several trade routes. In 1241 it was devastated by the tatars on their way to Central Europe.
In 1353, Bistrita gain the right to organize an anual 15 days fair and have a seal with a coat of arms representing an ostrich with a horseshoe in its beak.
In 1465, the city had 18 defence towers and bastions which were defended by the local guilds.