(born February 18
), better known as Dr. Dre
, became a pioneer in today's hip-hop culture and gangsta rap
. In 1986
, he joined NWA
, and gained early fame through that group's success and notoriety. Dr. Dre enjoyed significant success in NWA, but left the group (at the peak of its popularity in 1991
) to form Death Row Records
with Suge Knight
Dr. Dre released his first solo single, "Deep Cover," in the spring of 1992. Not only was the record the debut of his elastic G funk sound, it was the beginning of his collaboration with rapper Snoop Dogg, a young man who had recorded some homemade tapes with Dre's stepbrother Warren G. Snoop's voice appeared on Dre's 1992 debut album The Chronic as much as Dre himself. Thanks to the single "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang," The Chronic became a multi-platinum seller, making it virtually impossible to hear mainstream hip-hop that wasn't affected in some way by Dr. Dre and his patented G Funk.
As of 2003, Dr. Dre and Eminem have produced the debut album for 50 Cent, Get Rich or Die Tryin' . Dre will then work on the new Ice Cube album before returning to work on his own album, tentatively titled Detox -- said to be his last. After that, he says he plans to stay in the studio and produce for other artists on his label Aftermath Music.
- N.W.A. and the Posse, Macola, 1987.
- Straight Outta Compton, Ruthless, 1989.
- 100 Miles and Runnin' , Ruthless, 1990.
- Niggaz4Life, Ruthless, 1991.
Other (as artist and/or producer):
- The Chronic, Death Row, 1992.
- Greatest Hits, 1996.
- ''Dre 2001, 1999
- The Chronic, Death Row, 1993.
- Concrete Roots, Triple X, 1994.
- Murder Was the Case, Death Row, 1994. (contributor)
- Helter Skelter, Death Row, 1995. (With Ice Cube)
- "Keep Their Heads Ringin'," single from Friday (soundtrack), Priority, 1995.
- First Round Knock Out, Triple X, 1994.
- "California Love" single, Death Row, 1996. (With 2Pac)
- Dr. Dre Presents ... The Aftermath, Aftermath, 1996.
- "Zoom," single from Bulworth (soundtrack), Interscope, 1998. (With LL Cool J)
- 2001, Interscope, 1999