The Etruscans were the inventors of this digraph; F on its own stood for /w/ in Etruscan as in Greek (where the letter F ? called Digamma in Greek ? has disappeared due to the fact that the /w/ phoneme itself disappeared.) The origin of F is the Semitic letter wâw that also represented /w/ and originally probably represented a hook or a club.
Foxtrot represents the letter F in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
F is also:
- The chemical symbol for fluorine.
- The symbol (F) for farad, the SI derived unit for electric capacitance.
- The variable f, for frequency
- A musical note
- The stock symbol for Ford Motor Company
- F is often used to denote a failing mark or grade.