Hamilton is a town in Central Scotland. It sits on the River Clyde in the county of Lanarkshire. An ancient seat of the Duke of Hamilton, the town has many links to a historic past.
The ruins of Cadzow Castle lie in a country park outside the town.
The Dukes of Hamilton lived until 1900 in the Hamilton Palace, one of the most elegant houses in the United Kingdom. Unfortunatly coal mining caused severe subsistence, and the palace was demolished. The Dukes built a mausoleum in the town asride the old palace, as well as a hunting lodge in Chatelherault Country Park.
More recently the town has become a seat of power for local government. The Edwardian Town Hall building sits overlooking the mausoleum, and the County Buildings tower over the area as the seat of South Lanarkshire council.