Kirtland is a city located in Lake County, Ohio. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 6,670.
|Table of contents|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 43.3 km² (16.7 mi²). 43.0 km² (16.6 mi²) of it is land and 0.3 km² (0.1 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 0.66% water.
As of the census of 2000, there are 6,670 people, 2,445 households, and 1,885 families residing in the city. The population density is 155.1/km² (401.8/mi²). There are 2,558 housing units at an average density of 59.5/km² (154.1/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 98.47% White, 0.27% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.39% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.03% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. 0.55% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 2,445 households out of which 31.6% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.9% are married couples living together, 6.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 22.9% are non-families. 19.8% of all households are made up of individuals and 7.4% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.65 and the average family size is 3.06.
In the city the population is spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 30.7% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 42 years. For every 100 females there are 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 95.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $65,422, and the median income for a family is $76,062. Males have a median income of $51,179 versus $31,179 for females. The per capita income for the city is $32,148. 2.3% of the population and 1.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 3.7% are under the age of 18 and 1.5% are 65 or older.
From 1831 to 1838, Kirtland was the headquarters for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). Mormons built their first temple there, which is a significant tourist attraction currently owned and operated by the Community of Christ.