Marie-Valerie, Archduchess of Austria (April 22, 1868 - September 6, 1924) was born to Elisabeth of Bavaria ("Sissi") and Franz Josef of Austria and their fourth and last child. Given name is Maire-Valerie Mathilde.
Maria Valerie was born at Ofen in Hungary. The Emperess Elizabeth was especially attached to their third surviving child Maria Valerie. She was born several years after the other children. She was Elizabeth's favorite child.
Maria Valerie was married to a close cousin Franz Salvator, Archduke of Austria-Tuscany branch of the family and soon had a family of nine children. Marie Valerie was a most reasonable girl and when it came time to marry she chose love over a dynastic marriage. It was hoped she would marry some one like the Prince of Saxony or Prince of Braganza. She flatly refused and Sissi supported her favorite daughter. Even if this did cause a large rift from her and the Crown Prince Rudolf. She finally married Franz Salvator in 1890. She had 10 children:
- Elisabeth (1892-1930), who married Count Georg von Waldburg-Zeil
- Franz (1893-1918)
- Hubert Salvator (1894-1971), who married Princess Rosemary of Salm-Salm
- Hedwig (1896-1970), who married Count Bernard of Stolberg-Stolberg
- Theodor Salvator (1899-1978), who married Countess Maria Theresa of Waldburg-Zeil-Trauchburg
- Gertrud (1900-1942), who married Count Georg of Waldburg-Zeil-Trauchburg
- Maria Elisabeth (1901-1936)
- Clemens Salvator (1904-1979), who married Countess Elisabeth Rességuier de Miremont, and who took the title Prince of Altenburg
- Mathilde (1906-1991), who married Ernst Hefel
- Agnes, who was born and died on the same day in 1911