Mysore is a city in the Indian state of Karnataka.
It was the capital of the kingdom of Mysore, which forms a large part of modern-day Karnataka.
One of the best (some would say worst) times to visit Mysore is during the annual nine-night, ten-day Dussera or Navaratri festival, which usually occurs in early October.
Mysore University (named Manasa Gangotri) one of the oldest universities in India is located in this City. Other institutions include the Central Food and Technology Research Institute CFTRI, Defense Food and Research Laboratory DFRL.
Mysore is also called the City of Palaces, because there are many palaces situated in the city. A few of them are
- The main Mysore Palace
- Rajendra Vilas (also called the summer palace situated on top of the Chamundi hills)
- Jaganmohana Palace
- Jayalakshmi Palace (Situated inside the University of Mysore premises)
- Lalit Mahal (Now converted to a hotel)
Mysore is also known as the Cultural Capital of Karnataka.
- The Mysore Palace
- The Krishna Raja Sagar(KRS) across the Kaveri river
- The Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens known popularly as Mysore Zoo
- The Chamundi Temple [On the Chamundi Hills]