The New York Herald was a large distribution newspaper based in New York City that existed between May 6, 1835 and 1924. The first issue of the paper was published by James Gordon Bennett (1795-1872). Under his son, James Gordon Bennett, Jr, the paper financed Henry Morton Stanley's expedition into Africa to find David Livingstone, and in 1879 supported the ill-fated expedition of G. W. De Long to the arctic region.
On October 4, 1887, Bennett Jr. launched The New York Herald's European edition in Paris, France. Following Gordon Bennett's death, in 1922 the New York Herald was merged with its bitter rival, the New York Tribune. In 1959, the New York Herald Tribune and its European edition were sold to John Hay Whitney, the then U.S. ambassador to Britain. In 1966 the New York paper ceased publication and the Washington Post and the New York Times acquired joint control of the Paris paper, renaming it the International Herald Tribune. In 2003, now owned 100% by the New York Times, the paper remains an important and influential English language paper, printed at 26 sites around the world and for sale in more than 180 countries.