Petah-Tikva (פתח-תקוה, also transliterated as Petach Tikva, Petah Tiqwa or Petach Tiqwa) is a town in west central Israel, 12 Kilometer North-East of Tel Aviv. Petah-Tikva is the second largest industrialized city in Israel (after Haifa), as of 1994 its population was 152,000
Its industries produce textiles, metal works, wood industry, plastics, processed foods, tires and other rubber products, and soap. In the last years many Hi-tech enterpises moved to Petah-Tikva?s industrial zone.
There are extensive citrus groves on the outskirts, and building stone is quarried nearby.
Petah-Tikva was founded in 1878 by former residents of Jerusalem, hoping to escape the cramped quarters of Jerusalem's walls. It was the first modern Jewish agricultural settlement in Palestine; it has grown to become one of Israel's most populous towns.