The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is an aqueduct which carries the Llangollen Canal over the valley of the River Dee, east of Llangollen in north Wales.
The aqueduct is 1007 feet long, constructed of cast iron troughs mounted on 19 masonry arches, and carries the canal 120 feet above the river.
Part of what was originally called the Ellesmere Canal, it was one of the first major feats of civil engineering undertaken by leading civil engineer Thomas Telford. It was opened on 26 November 1805, having taken around ten years to design and construct.
There are no railings on the canal side, just the edge of the trough and a sheer drop.