A public utility is a company that maintains the infrastructure for a public good. Public utilities are generally regarded in same places as natural monopolies or like specially regulated sectors.
In command economies, these functions are generally performed directly by the state.
In some poorer countries, these functions may not be available at all.
Examples of utilities are:
- electric power transmission and electricity distribution
- drinking water purification and distribution
- sewage treatment and disposal
- other waste disposal
- natural gas distribution
- public transport by bus, train, etc.
- cable television and telephone lines