As of 2003, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York covers three of the five boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island), as well as Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester Counties.
The Diocese of New York, established in 1808, became an Archdiocese in 1850.
The following is a list of the Roman Catholic Bishops and Archbishops of the Diocese and Archdiocese of New York (and their terms of service)
- Bishop R. Luke Concanen (1808-1810)
- Bishop John Connolly (1814-1825)
- Bishop John Dubois (1826-1842)
- Archbishop John Joseph Hughes (1842-1864)
- Cardinal Archbishop John McCloskey (1864-1885)
- Archbishop Michael Augustine Corrigan (1885-1902)
- Cardinal Archbishop John Murphy Farley (1902-1918)
- Cardinal Archbishop Patrick Joseph Hayes (1919-1938)
- Cardinal Archbishop Francis Joseph Spellman (1939-1967)
- Cardinal Archbishop Terence James Cooke (1968-1983)
- Cardinal Archbishop John Joseph O'Connor (1984-2000)
- Cardinal Archbishop Edward Michael Egan (2000-present)