A typical shrike's beak is hooked, like a bird of prey, reflecting its predatory nature.
Shrikes are also known as "butcher birds" because of their habit of keeping a "larder" of corpses. (Note that the butcherbirds of Australasia are not shrikes, although they occupy a similar ecological niche.)
- Great Grey Shrike or Northern Shrike Lanius excubitor
- Southern Grey Shrike Lanius meridionalis
- Lesser Grey Shrike Lanius minor
- Red-backed Shrike Lanius collurio
- Isabelline Shrike Lanius isabellinus
- Woodchat Shrike Lanius senator
- Masked Shrike Lanius nubicus
- Long-tailed Shrike Lanius schach
- Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
- Tiger Shrike, Lanius tigrinus
- Bull-headed Shrike, Lanius bucephalus
- Brown Shrike, Lanius cristatus
- Burmese Shrike, Lanius collurioides
- Emin's Shrike, Lanius gubernator
- Souza's Shrike, Lanius souzae
- Bay-backed Shrike, Lanius vittatus
- Grey-backed Shrike Lanius tephronotus
- Gray-capped Shrike, Lanius validirostris
- Loggerhead Shrike, Lanius ludovicianus
- Chinese Gray Shrike, Lanius sphenocercus
- Gray-backed Fiscal, Lanius excubitoroides
- Long-tailed Fiscal, Lanius cabanisi
- Taita Fiscal, Lanius dorsalis
- Somali Fiscal, Lanius somalicus
- Mackinnon's Shrike, Lanius mackinnoni
- Common Fiscal, Lanius collaris
- Newton's Fiscal, Lanius newtoni
- Yellow-billed Shrike, Corvinella corvina
- Magpie Shrike, Corvinella melanoleuca
- White-rumped Shrike, Eurocephalus rueppelli
- White-crowned Shrike Eurocephalus anguitimens
- Campephagidae, cuckoo-shrikes
- Prionopidae, helmet shrikes
- Malaconotidae, puffback shrikes, bush shrikes, tchagras and boubous
Some models of the Rockwell Commander aircraft were subnamed Shrike.
The Shrike is a monster in the Hyperion series of science fiction books by Dan Simmons. It is known for impaling people on a thorn bush.
The AGM-45 Shrike is a HARM developed at the US Naval Weapons Center from 1958 and manufactured by Texas Instruments and Sperry Rand from 1963. It was used by the military of the USA and Israel. It had a number of flaws and was replaced by the AGM-88 HARM. Production was stopped in 1982 and the US withdrew the missile in 1992. Around 18,500 were built.
Shrike is the product codename for the version 9 of Red Hat's distribution of the Linux operating system.
Shrike is a character in Nathanael West's novella Miss Lonelyhearts.