St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York
The site of the present cathedral was bought for $11,000 on March 6, 1810, as a site for an orphanage. The diocese of New York was made an archdiocese by Pope Pius IX on July 19, 1850, and on October 6, 1850 Archbishop John Joseph Hughes announced his intention to erect a new cathedral to replace St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, which was located on the intersection of Prince and Mott Streets on Mulberry Street. (The old cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1866 and was rebuilt and rededicated by 1868. It is still a parish church and is the oldest Catholic building in New York City.)
A cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1858 just south of the diocese's orphanage, well north of the populous area of New York at that time. The cathedral was designed in Gothic style by architect James Renwick, Jr. Work was begun in 1858, but was halted during the American Civil War, commencing again in 1865. The cathedral was completed in 1878 and dedicated on May 25, 1879, its huge proportions dominating the mid-town of that time. The archbishop's house and the rectory were added from 1882-1884 and the adjacent school opened in 1882. Towers on the West Front were added in 1888, and an addition on the east, including a Lady Chapel, designed by Charles Mathews, began in 1901. The cathedral was renovated between 1927-1931 ,when the great organ was installed, and the sanctuary was enlarged.
|Table of contents|
4 External links
The original pipe organs, built by George Jardine and Sons in the 19th century, have been replaced. The Chancel Organ, in the North Ambulatory, was made by the Kilgen Company, and installed in 1928. It has 1,480 pipes. The Grand Gallery Organ, by the same company, was installed in 1930. The organs can be played from either of two five-manual consoles, and have a total of 177 stops.
see also: List of Roman Catholic Bishops and Archbishops of New York