Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
Decades: 1570s 1580s 1590s 1600s 1610s - 1620s - 1630s - 1640s 1650s 1660s 1670s
Years: 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 - 1622 - 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627
- January 1 - In the Gregorian calendar, January 1 is declared as the first day of the year, instead of March 25.
- February 8 - King James I of England disbands the English Parliament.
- March 22 - In the Jamestown massacre, Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia (1/3 of the colony's population).
- Étienne Brûlé is the first European to see Lake Superior.
- Portugal loses control of the island of Ormuz, after 107 years.
- Albertus Magnus is beatified by the Roman Catholic Church.
- January 15 - Molière, French playwright
- November 18 - King Charles X of Sweden
- January 23 - William Baffin, explorer
- February 11 - Alfonso Fontanelli, composer
- May 20 - Osman II, sultan of Turkey
- Melchior Adam - German divine and biographer.\n