Bowood House, near Calne in Wiltshire, is the stately home of the Lansdowne family and has been the residence of:
- Sir William Petty, (1622-1687)
- Thomas Viscount Clanmaurice, 1st Earl of Kerry (1668-1741)
- John, 1st Earl of Shelburne (1705-1761)
- William Petty Fitzmaurice, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne, (1737-1803)
- John Henry Petty Fitzmaurice, 2nd Marquess of Lansdowne (1765-1809)
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne, (1780-1863)
- Henry Charles Petty Fitzmaurice, 4th Marquess of Lansdowne (1816-1866)
- Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne, (1845-1927)
- Henry William Edmund Petty Fitzmaurice, 6th Marquess of Lansdowne (1872-1936)
- Charles Hope Petty Fitzmaurice, 7th Marquess of Lansdowne (1917-1944)
- George John Charles Petty Fitzmaurice, 8th Marquess of Lansdowne (1912-1999)
- Charles Maurice Petty Fitzmaurice, 9th Marquess of Lansdowne (born 1941)
- Simon Henry George Petty Fitzmaurice, Earl of Shelburne (born 1970)
The 'big house' was demolished in 1955 for reasons of economy, however the remaining house is still large and the front 'wing' is open to the public with rooms, paintings and scultpure on display. One of the rooms was the laboratory of Joseph Priestley who discovered oxygen there on August 1st, 1774.
Also in the grounds is an adventure playground for children aged 12 and under.