The Elizabethan era is a period of English history during most of the 16th century, usually associated with the reign of Elizabeth I of England. It is often considered the height of the Renaissance in England.
Notable features of the Elizabethan era include:
- The development of Elizabethan theater
- The work of Francis Bacon in formulating early elements of the scientific method
- The literature (plays, books, and poetry) of:
- Periodic outbreaks of the Black Death
- The continuation of hostilities between England and Ireland
- The defeat of the Spanish Armada by English naval forces.
- The sea explorations of Francis Drake and Walter Raleigh
- Other illustrious names associated with the reign of Elizabeth I include: John Dee, Richard Grenville, and Sir Philip Sidney.
- The Elizabethan Wiki provides an excellent resource on this period.