The Royal School of Needlework was founded in 1872 by Princess Helena, Queen Victoria's third daughter, and the wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein. She received help from William Morris and many of his friends in the Arts and Crafts movement.
The School is based at Hampton Court Palace and is engaged in textile restoration and conversation, as well as training professional embroiderers through 3-year apprenticeships.
It receives commissions from public bodies, e.g. the Hastings embroidery.
It has an archive of over 30,000 images covering every period of British history. There are also over 5,000 textile pieces, including lace, silkwork, whitework, Jacobean embroidery and many other forms of embroidery and needlework.
The School is a charity and has always been under royal patronage.