The Straße des 17. Juni or in English "Street of June 17th" is in Berlin, Germany. It is the continuation street of 'Unter den Linden', which stops at the Brandenburg Gate. On the other side towards West Berlin used to stand the Berlin Wall. In the western part of Berlin the street had been re-named 'Straße des 17. Juni' to commemorate the uprising of the East Berliners on June 17, 1953 against the Soviet Union and Communists of the German Democratic Republic. Unarmed workers walked through the street and tore down the red flag of thr ruling communists in East Berlin and Moscow. Between 100-200 Berliners were killed in the intervention by the Soviet military..
Until reunification, June 17th was West Germany's National Day and a Day of Commemoration.