Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
Decades: 1580s 1590s 1600s 1610s 1620s - 1630s - 1640s - 1650s 1660s 1670s 1680s
Years: 1630 1631 1632 1633 1634 - 1635 - 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640
- February 10 - The Académie française in Paris is expanded to become a national academy for the artistic elite.
- October 9 - Founder of Rhode Island Roger Williams is banished from Massachusetts Bay Colony as a religious dissident after he spoke out against punishments for religious offenses and giving away Native American land.
- Guadeloupe becomes a French colony.
- Martinique is settled by France.
- Dominica is claimed by France.
- Franco-Swed. treaty of alliance signed by Cardinal Richelieu and Axel Oxtenstierna.
- Académie Française expanded nationally by Cardinal Richelieu.
- Colonization of Connecticut begins.
- Budapest University established.
- July 18 - Robert Hooke, English scientist.
- November - Thomas Parr, English man claiming to be 152 years old.